Initial Presentation & History:
- 50-year-old Caucasian female
- 340 lbs, 5’4”
- Uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus due to inability to tolerate prescription medication
- Hypertension controlled with medication
- Presented for chiropractic care for an acute exacerbation of chronic knee pain, and became interested in the SHAPE Program for the purpose of reducing the inflammation of her knees and losing weight
- Presently employed as a nurse
- Present kidney stone, recurrent problem
- Present cough from recent respiratory infection
- Present psoriasis
- Present difficulty sleeping
- Past depression, anxiety
- Family history of heart problems, high blood pressure
This patient simply did not feel good. She reported dizziness, fogginess, fatigue, generalized pain, localized knee pain, and difficulty sleeping. As a nurse, she worked 12-hour shifts, often overnight, and did not have a consistent sleep pattern. Her diet was highly processed, and she consumed a large quantity of caffeinated beverages.
Initial UA was abnormal, >2000(110)++++mg/dL glucose, high specific gravity, acidic.
Method of Treatment:
- SHAPE Program Phase I: FasTrac Cleanse.
- Encouraged patient to consume berries for fruit, >4 cups veggies, 16 oz. protein, and >100 oz. water daily.
- SHAPE Drops, Standard Process Catalyn and Diaplex, Nordic Naturals ProOmega D.
- Encouraged consultation with MD to manage medication.
After one week, the patient reported some overall improvement and lost 3lbs. She returned to her MD twice over the next month of care and found a medication combination she could tolerate, continuing the SHAPE Drops and Standard Process products. With medication and the SHAPE Program, her UA became normal and weight steadily decreased. Over the next few weeks and months, the patient reported occasional non-compliance with not-approved foods and alcohol, especially during the holidays.
She presented six months following her initial consultation having lost 52 lbs and improved in all areas of former complaints.
This is the type of patient who would prefer to take a pill for a quick fix and found long-term discipline to be challenging. Despite this and her complicated medical history, she found improvement and continued success with the SHAPE Program. Most importantly, she learned how to make better choices for herself and discovered the connection between food, inflammation, and health.
Submitted by Dr. Lauren Cantrell
Dr. Todd’s Teaching Assessment
Once again, we see the amazing ability of the SHAPE Program to control and eliminate blood sugar imbalance. You will always find difficulty in managing shift workers. Not sleeping regular hours and improper eating is a metabolic disaster in the making. I have always loved this type of patient. If they get the big idea, failure is never an option. Isn’t it amazing that someone in healthcare can get to 340 pounds?!