Corned Beef & CabbagePrint Recipe
- 1 lb beef roast
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch allspice
- water enough to cover meat
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 cups green cabbage chopped
- horseradish to taste
- Season the beef with mustard powder, salt and pepper.
- In a large stock pot, add meat, onion and remaining spices. Cover with water and add vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the cabbage to the pot and cook for an additional 1-2 hours until the meat and cabbage are tender.
- Slice beef thinly across the grain and serve with horseradish.
1 serving = 4 oz protein, 2 cups vegetable Phase II Variation: Use beef brisket instead of roast.