Asparagus: Five Ways
Asparagus: Five WaysPrint Recipe
- STEAMED: Add 1-2 inches of water to a medium saucepan. Place asparagus in steamer (bamboo or other) above water and cover tightly. Bring water to a boil and let steam until tender, about 7 minutes. Serve with lemon juice and Celtic Sea Salt.
- ROASTED: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet or large dish. Spray with coconut or olive oil cooking spray. Roast, turning halfway through cooking, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- GRILLED: Preheat grill and lightly oil rack. Place asparagus over direct, medium heat. Cook until browned, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- BRAISED: Place a large skillet over high heat. Add asparagus, 1/2 cup water and a slice of lemon. Cover, bring to a simmer and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- MICROWAVE: Place asparagus on a glass platter or pie pan. Add 1/4 cup water and cover tightly. Microwave on high until tender, about 3 minutes.
Look for sturdy spears with tight heads. The cut ends should not look desiccated or woody. Fresh asparagus should snap and break when bent; the breaking point is where the asparagus should be trimmed. Shave down any woody bits with a vegetable peeler.