Apple PiePrint Recipe
- olive or coconut oil cooking spray
- 1 box Pecan Nut Thins
- 1 egg scrambled
- 6 apples peeled and diced (use a dense, sweet variety like Honeycrisp or Fuji, or a combination)
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon and/or Penzey's Baking Spice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or a few drops of SweetLeaf Stevia Vanilla
- 5 drops SweetLeaf SteviaClear
- water just enough to cover the apples
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Coat baking dish (I used a round cake pan) with cooking spray
- In a food processor, chop Nut Thins until fine.
- Break down scrambled egg with fork into small, fine pieces.
- In a bowl, mix together crumbs with scrambled egg.
- Press mixture into the bottom of baking dish.
- Simmer apples in water for 20-30 min or until tender. Remove from heat after cooking and add 5 drops of SweetLeaf SteviaClear in 1 tsp vanilla. Stir together.
- Add apples and cinnamon.
- Take half of this mixture and blend until smooth in a blender or food processor.
- Add the pureed apples to the chunky apples and spoon on top of the Nut Thin crust.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 min.
- Let cool and refrigerate – this makes the crust nice and chewy.
- Reheat later or enjoy cold.
1 serving (1/6 pie slice) = 1 fruit, 1 daily allotment of crackers Phase II Variation: Instead of using eggs in the crust, use 2 Tbsp of melted butter, ghee or coconut oil. Add a dollop of homemade whipped cream (1 small carton heavy whipping cream, 4 drops of SweetLeaf Stevia Vanilla, beat on high with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form).